Veneto Film Commission

You are browsing the graphical version of this website.  Switch to accessible version

Share

Constructed in 639 and expanded in 824, it owes its present-day structure to the partial reconstruction completed in 1008 at the behest of Bishop Orso Orseolo, son of Doge Pietro II. We can read about the relations with Ravenna, which was a liaison city with the East. The church is a three-nave basilica, with 18 columns in Greek marble, divided into twelve sections and has a marble door with 9th-century jambs and architraves decorated with bas-reliefs dating to the 11th- century. Grand Veneto-Byzantine mosaics embellish its interior, beginning with the mosaic on the floor and continuing with the one that decorates the bowl of the apse and triumphal arch, depicting the Twelve Apostles, the Annunciation and the "Vergine Teotoga". To the left of the main altar is an original inscription with the date of foundation of the church, which represents the oldest document of Venetian history. Along the right side are several windows complete with massive stone shutters.

Details

  • Historic Period Epoca medievale
  • Province Venezia
  • Town Venezia
  • Address Isola di Torcello
  • Reference's Film Commission Venezia Film Commission
Published in Churches
Venice

Details

  • Province Venezia
  • Town Caorle
  • Reference's Film Commission Venezia Film Commission
Published in Beaches
Venice

Details

  • Province Venezia
  • Town Cavallino-Treporti
  • Reference's Film Commission Venezia Film Commission
Published in Beaches
Chioggia, Venice

Details

  • Province Venezia
  • Town Chioggia
  • Reference's Film Commission Venezia Film Commission

The Lazzaretto Vecchio (Lit. The Island of the Old Quarantine) served as the first example of an isolation hospital for persons who had been confirmed sick. Later, in the mid-19thcent. was a military garrison until 1960s. It will become a museum center, after a complex restoration and conversion project.

Details

  • Province Venezia
  • Town Venezia
  • Address Isola del Lazzaretto Vecchio
  • Reference's Film Commission Venezia Film Commission
Published in Islands

The layout of the town is modelled after Venice: a group of ten islands unwind around a vast Grand Canal, whose name changes from San Giovanni to Ponte Longo (which crosses it) to degli Angeli, as it traverses the island. On the Rio dei Vetrai are several ancient furnace-houses that have survived from medieval times, recognizable because they have been built on porticos and which still display the signs of the function that they once performed: home of the owner of the furnace, glass workshop, and raw materials store. To prevent treacherous fires from breaking out in the vulnerable city, a decree was issued at the end of the 8th century ordering all the glass furnaces to be moved to Murano. The inhabitants of Murano thus acquired a truly unique professional specialization. Some of its most important architectural buildings are the Gothic church of San Pietro Martire, Palazzo Da Mula, and Palazzo Giustinian with its Baroque façade which was once an ancient Episcopal site and today holds the rare collections of the Murano Glass Museum. Also noteworth is the church of SS. Maria e Donato, which dates back to 1140 (the inscription is still legible on the floor inside), the same period of the mosaics that carpet the church and are very similar in style to the floor in St. Mark's cathedral.The art of glass making is carried on today at the Abate Zanetti glass school and the Promovetro associated furnaces.

Details

  • Historic Period Epoca medievale
  • Province Venezia
  • Town Venezia
  • Address Murano
  • Reference's Film Commission Venezia Film Commission
Published in Islands

Originally formed by the silty residue carried by rivers originating in the inland, Pellestrina is a strip of land that protects the lagoon from the sea. It stretches out 11 kilometres between the mouths of the port of Malamocco and Chioggia.Its economy is based on fishing and agriculture.In Pellestrina, we can still sense the atmosphere of a small fishing village, with nets drying in the sun, low cottages and gardens.Points of interest are the "murazzi" heavy sea walls that extend to the sea and protect the Lagoon of Venice from the powerful sea.In the Vianello district is the Tempio d'Apparizione, erected to commemorate the alleged apparition of the Virgin Mary in 1716.It is also the site of the Regatta of Pellestrina, celebrating the Festa della Madonna dell'Apparizione, a very popular religious feast in the local community. The competition field runs along the lagoon side of the island where the regatta can be seen.

Details

  • Province Venezia
  • Town Venezia
  • Address Zennari 639
  • Reference's Film Commission Venezia Film Commission
Published in Islands

While essentially farming settlements, S. Erasmo and the nearby island of Vignole also played important defensive roles for the Republic.The inhabitants erected strongholds to defend the mouth of the Port of Lido, whose importance can still be seen today by the ruins of Torre di Massimiliano, located at the south-eastern tip of the island.The south-eastern bank of the island is constantly washed by sea currents which are deviated after entering the deep mouth of Lido by a system of shoals known as the "Secca del Bacan".The "Bacan" of S. Erasmo holds naturalistic importance as a nesting area for the lagoon bird population.

Details

  • Province Venezia
  • Town Venezia
  • Address Isola di San Erasmo
  • Reference's Film Commission Venezia Film Commission
Published in Islands

Mazzorbo, anticamente denominata Maiurbium, era ricca di monumenti notevoli andati poi distrutti, attualmente rimane la Chiesa di S. Caterina, romanico - gotica, il cui campanile ospita una campana del 1318. Vi permangono ancora le tradizionali attività ortofrutticole, analogamente a quanto accade in altre isole della Laguna. Collegata con un ponte all'isola di Burano. Mazzorbetto, più vasta di Mazzorbo, da cui è separata tramite un canale non molto ampio. Delle antiche costruzioni, rimane un forte austro-italiano costruito sull'area dell'ex convento di S.Eufenia, demolito nel 1837/38.

Details

  • Province Venezia
  • Town Venezia
  • Address Mazzorbo
  • Reference's Film Commission Venezia Film Commission
Published in Islands
Jesolo, Venice

Details

  • Province Venezia
  • Town Jesolo
  • Reference's Film Commission Venezia Film Commission
Published in Beaches
Page 1 of 2

Our addresses

REGIONE DEL VENETO
Unità di Progetto
Direzione Attività Culturali e Spettacolo
Ufficio Cinema e Film Commission

Address: Cannaregio, 168
30121 VENEZIA
Tel:
+(39) 041 2792604
Fax:
+(39) 041 2792794
Email:
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Website:
www.venetofilmcommission.it

Seguici su FacebookFollow us on Facebook